Ragnarok X: Next Generation (ROX) features multiple life skills, one being fishing, as players can fish manually or purchase the automatic fishing rod, which allows fishing while AFK.
Fishing is one of the life skills in Ragnarok X: Next Generation that awards the player the more they delve into it. Luckily, automatic fishing enables the player to do other things while levelling the fishing skill. Catching a fish is one of the key features in Ragnarok X: Next Generation.
This feature allows players to obtain different materials for crafting different items in the game. One of the first tutorials, or missions in the game, teaches players how to catch fish using a wooden fishing rod and a beginners fishing bait.
Catching fish automatically allows players to farm for materials when they are away from their personal computer or away from keyboard (AFK), just like the auto battle feature.
How to catch a fish
After doing the initial mission of the game, players will probably know the basics of fishing. Players need a rod, bait and a fishing spot to get started. Since fishing forms part of RO Life, players need stamina to fish. Catching a fish will deduct 10 stamina points.
Players can fish manually by going to a fishing location. Once at the location, a fish icon will appear. Players should tap on that button to get started. The screen will then enter the fishing mode, where players can select their rod and bait. After selecting the bait and rod, players can press the cast button to start fishing.
To catch a fish, players need to manually press the reel button at a specific time.
The above mentioned steps are the same for automatic fishing. However, players will need a special rod called the Automatic Fishing Rod to catch a fish. This rod has a limited usage of up to 50 catches, depending on the quality of fish the player is getting.
Once the player is in the fishing spot, they need to select the bait. Then to automatically catch a fish, players need to select the automatic fishing rod. After selecting the bait and the auto fishing rod, players can select the start auto button. For every catch, the quality of the rod will be reduced by at least two precent. Players can stop fishing anytime by pressing the “stop fishing” button.
Where to buy the Automatic Fishing Rod
There are only two ways a player can obtain the Automatic Fishing Rod. It can either be obtained through an in-game event reward, or from the Fish Print Commemorative Coin shop at the Pontera south gate.
Players can go to the non-player character, Xavier, who is near the wishing tree to access his exchange shop. In the shop, players can exchange their Fish Print Commemorative Coins (FPCC) for several items.
Players can also buy the Automatic Fishing Rod for 20 FPC, as well as a frog bamboo hat, which is an empowering fishing hat said to be the ultimate attire of a master of fishing. However, the hat has no extra effect.
Additionally, players can buy a fisherman’s hat, which provides the player with extra defence. Players can also purchase a tortoise hat, a scuba mask and a frog hat. Most of the items offers the player additional statistics, except the frog bamboo hat.
Fish Print Commemorative Coin
In order to buy items in Xavier’s shop, players need these coins to exchange them for products. Players can earn a Fish Print Commemorative Coin by participating in the Magic Bait Daily quest. Players will normally receive 10 coins, but they can get up to 100 coins when they catch a fish eligible for the fishing contest.
List of catchable fish
Prontera South Gate
The wooden fishing dock is located in the lake river area at the bottom centre corner of Prontera South Gate. The list of things players can catch include, but is not limited to:
- Carp, a material for steamed egg and fish. The fish can be consumed for food, ornamental and medicinal purposes. It can be caught using a beginner fishing bait.
- Turquoise, a uniquely coloured stone. These stones are used as a smelting material for cranium I. It can be caught using the green cotton larvae bait.
- Frogs, which is an ingredient for nutritious frog meat. Frogs can be caught using a beginner fishing bait.
Prontera West Gate
When players go through the West Gate, just before entering the windmill tower, players can find the wooden dock to fish. However, this fishing spot requires a level two fishing skill. The items that players can catch include:
- Lotus Seedpod, which is an ingredient for Mixed Congee I. It can be caught using the beginner fishing bait.
- White cloud fish can be used as a smelting material to produce an agility stone. These fish can be caught using the spawn bait.
- Pure-water Sturgeon is a valuable and scarce freshwater fish. It is used as a smelting material. These fish can be caught using the hedgehog skin bait.
Players can find this fishing spot in the centre portion of the map, in the desert. However, players are required to be at level three to fish in this spot.
- Catfish is an ingredient for crispy fish. It can be caught using the beginner fishing bait.
- Vulcanfish are used as a smelting material in order to produce Phracon II. These fish can be caught using the yoyo tail bait.
- Emberfish are used as a smelting material to produce Bascys II. It can be caught using the spiderweb bait.
Other fishing spots include Ladyrinth Forest, the underwater cave, Payon East Forest, Munak Café 1F and Orc Dungeon. However, these spots require a high fishing skill level.
Fishing is one of the life skills in Ragnarok X: Next Generation that awards the player the more they delve into it. Luckily, automatic fishing enables the player to do other things while levelling the fishing skill.